- Way of Working
- Set of Outcomes
- Some sort of FINAL outcome to present (doesn’t have to be a piece per sé, more a landing point.
THIS IS A PROJECT, not a PIECE
present the underlying enquiry as well as any outcomes. Show engagement
For Week 9 - artist of influence presentation
- Sophie Calle
- Michael Druks
- not Gerhard Richter - see The Archive book.
- see the postcard woman in Data Art.
Ken & Julia Yonetani
not beholden to just the materials you have.
mimic, destroy, pulping, decontextualising, recontextualising, turn them to dust
- use the shoe boxes that the cards initially came from
- envelopes, stamps. what roles could these have?
- what meaning can be given to an item if you send it away and it returns.
- the idea of sorting, categorising
What can Tristan Garcia say about this? About ontology
- What can Marc Augé say about all of this
- What can Beautiful Data say about this?
- Chris Bell’s large aquarium
- Martin Creed - Lights Going on and Off https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDqU8hhy99M
- Number / quantify postcards/items - Schrodinger’s cats (one for each postcard) - until I open the suitcase is the postcard there? What is limbo state for a postcard? stamped, addressed but unsent? But play on the fact that I’m allergic. Each postcard is a Schrodinger Cat
- Traces - postmarks
- Send a postcard off bundled with a recorder to record the journey.
- send postcards from places he'd been to places he wanted to go (but never did). Sister city project.
- Remake the suitcase (w/out its contents) with various other materials (paper, plaster, timber)
- could these then contain alternatives to the postcards or different postcards? copies of the ones that have never been used that have been fictitiously written on/to and postmarked. Alternate/Crypto histories of my father and the other people who figure in the postcards.
- Use a portable music player to play a soundtrack from within the suitcase.
- Send postcards back to where they came from. To sit forever in dead letter offices around the world.
- The box as resonant space
- Box with the sound of it’s own making.
- Explore texture. (+ resistance)
- Soak postcards in water until the laminate falls off and the ink erodes.
- Google map all the postcards
- A room with all the postcards up
- Derrida Archi-trace https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trace_(deconstruction)
Jodie Carey - In the Eyes of Others
Marsha Pels -
Paula Dawson’s Explosive Drawing
release of potential energy though pulping, burning
Christian Kapoorer -
loss in assets, decay